Call for proposals now open!
The Ruby devroom at FOSDEM is a focused developer room around the Ruby programming language and the open source projects which implement it. While the Ruby community does have a number of regional conferences devoted to its use, opportunities for those interested in the “how it works” of Ruby interpreters and virtual machines are practically non-existent. The goal of this developer room is to discuss:
- The current state of the Ruby language
- Techniques employed by various VMs and their effectiveness
- Upcoming Ruby language features, and the challenges/benefits that they provide
- Tools and practices used to certify Ruby language conformity and performance
- Costs and Opportunities provided by the multitude of implementations
Why we’re here
Considering the number of notable Ruby implementations, listed below, there should be more than enough highly interesting and technical content!
- Ruby (MRI, the original C-based VM)
- JRuby (Ruby on the JVM)
- Rubinius (Ruby on Ruby)
- Topaz (Ruby on RPython, the toolkit that PyPy built)
- RubyTruffle (JRuby using Oracle’s Truffle compiler)
- RubyMotion (Ruby on top of Apple’s Objective-C/Cocoa foundation)
- Maglev (Ruby on the GemStone Smalltalk VM)
- mruby (lightweight, embedded Ruby)
When and Where
The Ruby devroom takes place on Saturday, the 4th February 2017, in the room K.4.201, building K, on the Solbosch Campus, Université Libre de Bruxelles.
Who we are
- Christophe Philemotte - Ruby Belgium board member
- Silvana Precup - Ruby Belgium board member
- Tiago Mendes-Costa - Ruby Belgium User Group (aka BRUG) organizer
- Helio Cola - Ruby & Coffee for all
Code of Conduct
We dedicate ourselves to making everyone feel welcome and at home. Our Code of Conduct offers some guidelines to ensure this for both attendees and speakers. The organizers are available to anyone who is anything less than completely comfortable.
How could you support the devroom?
If you’d like to help the Ruby devroom to welcome speakers from all around the world, you do it via sponsorship.